Prof. Steven Barrett
- BA, Engineering, Cambridge University, 2006
(exchange student at MIT, 2004-5)
- MEng, Engineering, Cambridge University, 2006
- PhD, Engineering, Cambridge University, 2009
(visiting graduate student at MIT, 2007-8)
Field: Aerospace, Energy and the Environment
Lab Role: Director
I am an Assistant Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Director of the Laboratory for Aviation and the Environment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I am also currently Associate Director of the Partnership for Air Transportation Noise and Emissions Reduction (PARTNER) — a 12 university Center of Excellence sponsored by FAA, NASA, DOD, EPA and Transport Canada, with participants from 50 industry and government organizations. Before joining MIT in 2010 I was on the faculty at Cambridge University, where I helped to setup the Energy Efficient Cities Initiative. I am also part of the MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change, the MIT Center for Environmental Health Sciences, and the SMART Center for Environmental Sensing and Modeling. The main goal of the research I work on is to advance understanding of the environmental impacts of aviation and other modes of transportation, and to develop technological, fuel-based and regulatory strategies to mitigate these impacts. A current focus is assessing the lifecycle environmental impacts of biofuel production and use in transportation. I also work on other areas related to transportation, energy and the environment — atmospheric modeling, propulsion, climate engineering, contaminant dispersion and quantifying the environmental impacts of other sectors of the economy. I have served as an independent expert on green aviation, and on several advisory committees related to aviation and the environment, and emissions mitigation. I currently teach MIT courses on jet and rocket ropulsion and the environmental impacts of transportation. I am an advisor for first year MIT undergraduates (as well as upper-level AeroAstro students) and, since 2002, have contributed to STEM outreach activities. I come from London and partly grew up in the Scottish Highlands.
- Mark Staples, MIT SM 2013. Water Consumption Footprint and Land Requirements of Alternative Diesel and Jet Fuel Production.
- Dr. Marc Stettler (w/Dr. A. Boies), Cambridge PhD 2013. Aviation Emissions of Black Carbon and Other Air Pollutants.
- N. Simone, MIT SM 2013. Development of a Rapid Global Aircraft Emissions Estimation Tool with Uncertainty Quantification.
- G. Lee, MIT SM, 2012. Development of Techniques for Rapidly Assessing the Local Air Quality Impacts of Airports.
- K. Masuyama, MIT SM, 2012. Performance Characterization of Electrohydrodynamic Propulsion Devices.
- I.-H. Lee, MIT SM, 2012. The Air Quality and Health Impacts of Aviation in Asia.
- N. Carter, MIT SM, 2012 (w/Dr. J. Hileman). Environmental and Economic Assessment of Microalgae-derived Jet Fuel.
- C. Gilmore, MIT SM, 2012. Benefit-Cost Assessment of Aviation Environmental Policies.
- J. Koo, MIT SM, 2011 (w/Prof. Q. Wang). Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis of the Intercontinental Impacts of Aviation Emissions on Air Quality and Health.
- J. Payton, Cambridge MEng, 2010. Electrohydrodynamic propulsion.
- J. Chiu, Cambridge MEng, 2010. Environmental assessment of gas turbine hybrid electric vehicles.
- Luis Alvarez, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Jacob Ames, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Akshay Ashok, MIT PhD Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Fabio Caiazzo, MIT PhD Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Justin Carrus, Research Intern.
- Bogdan Constantin, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Uven Chong (w/Dr. A. Boies), Cambridge PhD Candidate.
- Irene Dedoussi, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Andrew Dexter, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Sebastian Eastham, MIT PhD Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Chris Gilmore, MIT PhD Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Rohit Goyal (w/Prof. D. Jacob), Harvard MEng Candidate and Visiting Student.
- John Kramer, Research Intern.
- Dr. Hakan Olcay, MIT Postdoctoral Associate.
- Akomeno Omu (w/Dr. R. Choudhary), Cambridge PhD Candidate.
- Matthew Pearlson, MIT Research Specialist.
- Mark Staples, MIT PhD Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Parthsarathi Trivedi, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Mitch Withers, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Lawrence Wong, MIT SM Candidate and Research Assistant.
- Faculty Search Committee, MIT Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2012-Present.
- Symposium chair, 2013 SAE Aerospace Alternative Fuels and Environment Symposium, 2013.
- Organizing committee member, Fourth interdisciplinary geoengineering summer school, 2013.
- Sub-committee member, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Implementation Advisory Committee (Transportation and Land Use) for the Massachusetts Global Warming Solutions Act, 2012-Present.
- Strategic Planning Committee, MIT Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2012-Present.
- Organizing committee member, 2013 SAE Aerospace Alternative Fuels and Environment Symposium, 2012-2013.
- Session co-chair, Aviation Climate Change Research Initiative (ACCRI) Symposium, 2012.
- Series co-founder and co-chair, Harvard-MIT Geoengineering Seminar Series, 2012-Present
- Center Associate Director, Partnership for Air Transportation Noise and Emissions Reduction (PARTNER) FAA Center of Excellence, 2011-2014.
- Committee member, airport air quality modeling advisory committee, Federal Aviation Administration, 2010-2011.
- Emissions Working Group co-chair, Aviation Climate Change Research Initiative (ACCRI), 2010-2012.
- Expert on green aviation, UK Advertising Standards Authority, 2009-2010.
- Coordinating committee member, University of Cambridge Energy Efficient Cities Initiative, 2009-2010.
- Pacific flights create most amount of ozone
- Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths each year in the U.S.
- MIT News, WUSA9, Forbes, MSN, redOrbit, The Times of India, The Globe and Mail, International Business Times, RT, Environmental News Network, SciGuru, Next Big Future, Voice of America, The Inquisitr, Sustainable Business, Nature World News, Natural Resources Defense Council Blog, Motherboard, Car Advice, Environmental Technology Online, Medical News Today, Recombu, Automotive Discovery, Top News New Zealand, Jagran Post, States Chronicle, Authint Mail, Z News, Gas2, Westmoreland Times, The Green Optimist, Silicon India, Baltimore City Paper (original), Boston Magazine, Huffington Post Blog.
- Electrohydrodynamic effect offers promise for efficient propulsion in air
- Study on air quality impacts of UK airport capacity expansion
- New study links air pollution and early death in UK
- Study released on the costs and benefits of desulfurizing jet fuel
- A link between air travel and deaths on the ground